Real Writers. Real Opinions. No Boundaries.

California Man Starts Flat Fire by Burning a Spider with a Blowtorch

A man who tried to kill a spider by setting it on fire accidentally started an apartment fire after the burning arachnid scurried under a mattress.

Firefighters in Redding, northern California battled the blaze on Sunday after residents tried and failed to put the flames out. No injuries were reported but the block was evacuated. The fire department told the paper that the fire appeared to have been started by a blowtorch.

A witness, quoted by the local Redding Record Searchlight newspaper, says that the spider was a “huge wolf spider.”

The local fire department chief, Gerry Gray, confirmed to the BBC that a fire had taken place in an apartment block but was still “undetermined” on the cause of the fire.

“The information regarding the ‘spider’ was presented by civilian witnesses at the scene of the fire and is certainly part of our investigation,” Mr. Gray said. It is unclear if the spider survived.

Officials said the fire caused about $11,000 in damage and some apartments in the building were “uninhabitable.”

[via BBC]

You might also like