Scientists have to come to warn that the earth might just be a few decades away before plunging into a “hothouse ” state. This comes in the midst of temperatures rising above 40 degrees Celsius in Europe. Wildfires and droughts will soon become a norm if the “hothouse” effect is not taken seriously. Already, 91 people have been killed in Greece’s blazing fires. You might like playing your favorite online games on Betway88, but we are sure you cannot take this development lightly.
What is the Hothouse State and why should we be worried about it?
The term “hothouse” is used by academics to mean that the earth has been destroyed beyond repair. Thus if the earth becomes a”hothouse”, then there are places on earth that will be unhabitable, and natural disasters will become a norm.
In 2016, around 195 countries came together and signed the Paris Agreement. They committed to maintaining the earth temperature below 2°Celsius above preindustrial levels. But that might have been too late as the earth is 1°C above pre-industrial levels. The temperature is rising at 0.17° each decade. This is a sign that the “hothouse” might come into reality sooner than we think.
If the earth stumbles past the tipping point, then it might be too late to save it. The tipping point will act like a row of dominoes once it is pushed on one side, it pushes Earth towards another side.
This will lead to abrupt change within the earth’s environment.
Some of the abrupt changes include:-
- Hundreds of methane flares will be released from the oceans floors. This turns the atmosphere into an airborne of greenhouse gases.
- The land and ocean floors will become less effective in reducing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- The Arctic sea summer ice will reduce leading to high temperatures.
- The mass reduction of polar ice in Antarctica. This means the polar bears that are already endangered will more endangered.
Although countries are trying to cut down on greenhouse gases, it is the responsibility of everyone to take care of planet earth. But the big companies are the ones, who can have a huge impact.
The following is a list of things to do to help save the earth from the impending danger.
- Follow the 3Rs to conserve natural resources. These are Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. It would be helpful if landfills and piles of plastic did not end up in the ocean.
- Plant trees to improve forestry. It is a bit sad that forests only cover 31% of the earth surface. This is about 4.1 billion hectares which are down from the 5.9 billion hectares recommended by preindustrial levels.
- Using technology to conserve nature in all aspects. As people are getting hooked on technology, let us find a way to use technology to save mother earth.
- Educating people from all over the world about the impending danger. A lot of people are not aware that the earth’s climate is in danger and that it might affect the sustainability of humans.