Drones are one of those ideas that are great in conception, but terrible in actuality. I mean, have you been somewhere and just saw a tiny robot in the sky? Who’s controlling it? Is it Amazon delivery a package to a lucky prime member? Is it the US government spying on us? A terrorist mapping out their plan of attack? Or maybe it’s just some bored dude looking to fuck with some tourists?
Regardless, in a move that I’m shocked was announced sooner, the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) will restrict drones from flying up to 400 feet within the Statue of Liberty and other Landmarks. The list includes:
- Statue of Liberty National Monument, New York, NY
- Boston National Historical Park (U.S.S. Constitution), Boston, MA
- Independence National Historical Park, Philadelphia, PA
- Folsom Dam; Folsom, CA
- Glen Canyon Dam; Lake Powell, AZ
- Grand Coulee Dam; Grand Coulee, WA
- Hoover Dam; Boulder City, NV
- Jefferson National Expansion Memorial; St. Louis, MO
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial; Keystone, SD
- Shasta Dam; Shasta Lake, CA
The restrictions will officially go into place on October 5th, 2017.